Two Year Artist Residency in Cello with The Montgomery Symphony
MSO Cello Fellowship 2018-2020, the second season upon agreement between the MSO and the Fellow.
$35,000 stipend per nine-month season.
Submission Deadline is March 23, 2018
The MSO Cello Fellow is encouraged to perform solo engagements, enter competitions, and accept significant outside performance opportunities that may further his or her career during the Fellowship period. The Association Board requires, however, that the Fellow establish a residence in Montgomery, Alabama, and that any absences from Montgomery Symphony Orchestra (MSO) performances or rehearsals be approved in advance by the Music Director.
- Candidates for the 2018 - 2020 Cello Fellowship should have completed their formal musical education and be at the beginning of their professional performing careers.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States during the period of the residency.
- As a Guest Artist: Perform a concerto with the MSO on the October 2018 classical subscription concert.
- As a Recitalist: Perform three scheduled solo recitals each season in Montgomery. A modest artist fee is provided for pianists.
- As an Orchestral Cellist: Serve as the MSO Principal Cellist at weekly rehearsals and at the 10-scheduled classical and pops concerts each season of the MSO from September 2018 to May 2020.
Stipend: $35,000 per nine-month season.
Engagement: September, 2018 through May, 2020. While the Fellowship is intended to be a two year engagement extending from September 2018 - May 2020, the second season continuation will be upon agreement between the MSO and the Fellow. The months of June, July and August, 2019 are free for the Fellow.
How to Apply:
Candidates should upload:
- a major concerto and at least one contrasting work suitable for recital
- a full resume which includes the names, addresses (regular and email) and telephone numbers (both studio and home) of two people who will serve as references.
- to submit files, click here
Application Deadline: March 23, 2018.
Finalists will be notified in mid April. Final auditions will be held in Montgomery, Alabama on April 30 - May 2, 2018, with travel expenses paid inside the United States.
Final Round: Four finalists will be notified in mid-April of their selection for the final round to be held April 30-May 2, 2018. Because travel expenses will be paid within the United States by the Montgomery Symphony, finalists must be completely available all three days of the competition. Finalists will interview privately with the competition jury and will perform in a final round of competition which will be open to the public. All finalists will perform a movement of a concerto and a movement of an unaccompanied work. After the Jury deliberates, the winner will be announced from the stage.
In 1989, the Montgomery Symphony Association's Board of Directors established a program to promote the concert careers of promising young violinists through its Violin Fellowship program. Based on the overwhelming success of the Violin Fellowship, the Symphony expanded the program in 1996 to include a Cello Fellowship. For a list of former Fellows, click here.